[council] Council resolution regarding extension of public comment periods

Mike Rodenbaugh icann at rodenbaugh.com
Fri Nov 7 23:57:52 UTC 2008

Thanks Liz for these thoughts.  It is hard for me to imagine anyone
complaining if 'pre-defined requirements for conducting public comments' are
simply extended to provide greater time.

I echo the concerns about the 3x-yearly document drop on Councilors.  But I
am more concerned to keep moving forward on policy development rather than
focusing such immense amounts of time on restructure and process.  Policy
development is our primary job, and the ICANN community and broader public
expects it from us, in particular to help deal with immense harms enabled by
abusive domain registrations.  For many months there has been relatively
little policy development discussion on Council, and a large imbalance
towards process issues.  This is frustrating for those of us elected and
intending to push for policy development.  We should spend at least an equal
amount of time on policy development than on process, preferably the vast
majority of our time, even during this big structural and procedural
transition.

Thanks,

Mike

  _____