[council] RE: [council] GAC Communiqué

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Nov 11 23:07:38 UTC 2008

I am curious about the following GAC statement at the end of Section II: "The GAC considers it would be useful to have further examination of the geographic names issues associated with the implementation of the IDN ccTLD fast track process and the new gTLDs including the proposal outlined in the ccNSO's resolution of 31 October 2007, relating to the consideration of country and territory names in the new gTLD process."  Conspicuously absent are any references to other geographic names such as cities, continents, etc., that were included in draft implementation for new gTLDs.

Once again the inability for the GAC to accomplish much if anything in between ICANN meetings may create complications in the implementation of new gTLDs.  Note what they say in Section III: "Due to the late posting of the Draft Applicant Guidebook, the GAC is not in a position to provide substantive comments at this stage.  The GAC intends to provide comments at the latest by the next ICANN meeting in Mexico."  I fully understand the issue of the late posting combined with the amount of material posted, but I would like to think that we would have a 2nd draft RFP by Mexico City.  There is a certain amount of inconsistency in the fact that they don't want fast track IDN ccTLDs to be delayed because of contract or fee issues, but they don't have a similar concern about new gTLDs.  I guess that is understandable but I still think it is a conern.

Regarding new gTLDs, I personally agree with the following GAC position and been advocating it for awhile: "The GAC will continue consideration of whether the strings being meaningful representations or abbreviations of a country and territory name in any script or language should not be allowed in the gTLD space until the related ccTLD policy development processes have been completed."  To me, that would avoid possible conflicts and makes sense as at least an interim measure.

I personally think the GAC input regarding the 'ICANN meeting reform proposal' was very contructive.  (See Annex)

Chuck