FW: [council] ICANN Regional Meeting in Rome

Adrian Kinderis adrian at ausregistry.com.au
Sun Nov 23 02:54:52 UTC 2008

Posting on behalf of Tim Cole.

Adrian Kinderis

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Cole [mailto:Tim.Cole at icann.org]
Sent: Sunday, 23 November 2008 12:36 PM
To: Adrian Kinderis
Subject: RE: [council] ICANN Regional Meeting in Rome

Adrian,

I'm afraid there may be some confusion about an annual activity the Registry and Registrar Liaison teams conduct in accordance with ICANN's Operating Plan.  Each year we host regional outreach gatherings for ICANN accredited registrars and gTLD registries in the Europe, Asia/Pacific, and North America regions.  Our next regional gathering is the Europe Registry/Registrar Regional Gathering scheduled for January in Rome.  We recently sent "Save the Date" notices to those eligible to attend, but have not posted anything on the ICANN website itself.  These are relatively small information-sharing events intended to educate and inform registrars from the region and their registry partners.  They are not intended as an alternative to official ICANN meetings.  Nevertheless, many companies send representatives that are not able to travel to ICANN meetings around the world so they can gain a better understanding of ICANN and how it works and to meet some of the people they interact with at ICANN.  Earlier this year we held an Asia/Pacific gathering in Seoul and a North America gathering in New Orleans.  As the population of registrars expands in other parts of the world, we expect to offer similar events in other regions.

I regret any confusion this may have caused and I would gladly answer any questions you may have.

Since I do not have posting privileges to the GNSO list, please feel free to share this message.

Regards,

Tim Cole
Chief Registrar Liaison
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers