[council] Re; Impovements plan - a comment on the compositon of the OSC

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Oct 10 16:16:25 UTC 2008

On 10 Oct 2008, at 12:02, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

>  I am hoping there will be more discussion
> like this and to encourage it even more, I second the motion for the
> amendment.

thanks.

> We will probably have to define 'full consensus' more precisely. Would
> 'observers' be included in full consensus?  If so, then what is the
> difference between being a regular member and an observer?

I have always assumed it was full consensus of members not including
other participants.  for example wile the comments of staff are always
highly valued, I did not assume they were figuring into the consensus
decisions.  they are list among other participants.  Note: this is
different then in the planing team where staff are members of the team
due to the nature of the Board's mandate to staff and council.

If necessary for clarity we could amend the two instances of:

Decision making for the [P,O]SC
• Unless otherwise determined by the [P,O]SC members, committee
decisions
   will be made using a “full consensus” process.

Decision making for the [P,O]SC
• Unless otherwise determined by the [P,O]SC members, committee
decisions
   will be made using a “full consensus of the members" process.

a.