[council] Motion on Whois studies

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Sun Oct 19 14:43:30 UTC 2008

Sure Norbert.

First of all let me make it clear that I am NOT at all suggesting that
there is 'minimal chance to move towards asking for funding information
on studies'.  All I am saying is that I do not believe that we will be
ready to make a decision in Cairo regarding identification of studies
for which we want staff to prepare cost extimates.

I think you will see when the RyC submits its analysis and
recommendations on 29 October that we also believe there is value in
pursuing some Whois studies further.  And I also believe that it won't
take a long time to identify the studies for further work; I just don't
believe we will be able to finalize that in Cairo.

I personally spent a lot of time on this topic in the past couple weeks
and it convinced me that it is fairly complicated to do analytically. At
the same time, I think that the RyC will be able to reach agreement on
our analysis and recommendations by 29 October and I am hopeful that our
contribution will facilitate the Council work on this in the next month
or so.

Chuck