[council] Request for an Issues Report on the recovery of expired domain names

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Oct 22 16:38:42 UTC 2008

At its October 14th teleconference, the ALAC voted to request an
Issues Report on the subject of registrants being able to recover
domain names after their formal expiration date. Details can be found
at https://st.icann.org/alac/index.cgi?recovery_of_expired_domain_names.

The motion calls for the draft request to be revised before and at
the Cairo ICANN meeting. A number of people have already volunteered
to work on the initial effort, and unless I hear otherwise, will
assume that they will continue to do so (I will verify).

The ALAC formed a small Working Group. According to the motion "The
working group may include representatives from At-Large, GNSO
constituencies and other interested individuals but due to tight time
constraints, will be limited to those with specific knowledge of the
subject being discussed." If anyone else would like to participate,
please let me know.

If any GNSO constituencies wish to formally support this ALAC
initiative, we will gladly append a short statement of support to the
Request when it is submitted.

Regards, Alan