[council] ICANN bylaws section 8c Absentee voting

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Thu Sep 4 11:17:42 UTC 2008

Hi,

During the staff's implementation work two procedures were recommended:

1. a version of the voting system we use(d) for electing board members
and the GNSO chair, i.e. the anonymous but numbered ballots

2. an email exchange between the GNSO secretariat (Glen) and the
absent council members.

My recommendation is that we use option 2.  Since the council votes
are not anonymous, there is no need for the overhead of option 1.

The process I recommend we follow, at least initially (we have the
opportunity to use it at today's meeting):

Whenever the council take a vote that qualifies for absentee balloting:

1. After the meeting, Glen will send the motion that was voted on to
the  list and will invite any absent members to send her a request for
a ballot.  B

2. She will send then, as individuals, them as individuals,  a ballot
with an option for them to vote YES, NO or ABSTAIN.  If they abstain
on a policy recommendation they will need to indicate a reason as is
required in the current by laws.

Unless it has been discussed in advance, this entire process needs to
complete within 72 hours of the meeting.    Reasons for extending,
might include prior knowledge that one of the absent council members
is out of contact for some known period.  It will therefore be
important before a meeting with such votes for people who are absent
to let Glen know of their absence.

Hope this works for people, at least as an initial implementation.  We
have the opportunity to use the procedure today and we have a very
full meeting that will not allow for time to discuss procedural issues
without something else falling off the scheule - in fact I will be
surprised if we make it to all of the topics today as it is.

thanks

a.