[council] Making Council less crazy

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Sep 30 18:56:11 UTC 2008

Hi,

On 30 Sep 2008, at 14:06, Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:

> I would just like to clarify that ICANN Staff's opinion of what is
> in scope
> of GNSO PDP is required by bylaws and certainly can be useful.  But
> it is
> not necessarily the final word.  GNSO's opinion ought to be of equal
> weight,

Currently the by-laws allow for either possibility, putting different
voting thresholds on the initiation of the PDP in the different cases:

 > 33% is adequate when the staff says it is within scope and a
supermajority is required when they say it isn't.  The problem gets
more difficult when the determine of the Staff is partial, split or
equivocal.

> at least, but ultimately only the Board could make a decision if
> there was
> disagreement between Staff and GNSO.

As I understand it the Board can order a PDP anytime it wants, whether
in scope or not.

a.