[council] PEDNR Motion

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Thu Apr 2 09:20:42 UTC 2009

Tim, please note that the recommendation you quoted from the Issues Report specifically relates to 'the desired outcomes stated by ALAC in its request', some of which go beyond the issues recommended for a PDP. As noted by Alan, the drafting team and staff did discuss whether a pre-PDP WG would be appropriate, but agreed that further research and consultation could be done as part of a PDP as the issues recommended for inclusion in a PDP have been narrowly defined. As stated in the motion, the drafting team does believe it is important to highlight in the charter that the outcomes of a PDP are not limited to recommended changes to consensus policy, but could also include recommendations regarding e.g. best practices, compliance, possible RAA changes or further dialogue.

On a different note, but related to the Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Issues Report, I would like to draw your attention to a deletion and renewal consensus policy audit in relation to the Expired Domain Deletion Consensus Policy that was carried out by the ICANN's compliance team recently (see further details attached). Follow-up audit activity is being carried out as a result of the non-compliance identified in the audit. As a result of this follow-up, the compliance team estimates that the number of non-compliant registrars is about 30-40% less today then when the report was published.

With best regards,

Marika