[council] PEDNR Motion

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 2 15:41:07 UTC 2009

Tim, two issues:

First, just because we say that the group can
make RECOMMENDATION on ways the PEDNR issues
could best e addressed through a future RAA
(non-picket fence) change does NOT give them the
latitude  to address non-PEDNR issues. Although
it is certainly jumping the gun to consider PDP
outcomes, one could imagine that a possible
outcome is a recommendation that a PEDNR issue
would best be addressed by some specific
contractual term of the RAA. Not within the
picket fence, not binding, but a bit of advice
that could then not be lost, but used as per the
(hopefully existent) process of RAA amendment.

I am not really expecting such "RAA-suggestion"
outcomes. But if it becomes obvious to the WG
that this is the least invasive away of
addressing a problem, they should be allowed to
suggest it without them being accused of
broadening their scope. That is all it was meant to do.

I understand that there are some people who want
to use a "thin edge of the wedge" to address
every RAA issue under the sun, but I think that
Staff have crafted a pretty narrow definition here.

Alan