[council] Draft Revisions to the ICANN Bylaws Relating to GNSO Restructure

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Apr 5 03:47:53 UTC 2009

Denise,

Thank you for the detailed note on the Staff's position on these issues.

In this not I want tomake a few points on the issue concerning the
changes to X.3.1

1.  From the full report of the board (which is curiously difficult to
find on line: for those who need to get  new copy it can be found at:
http://www.icann.org/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-improvements-report-03feb08.pdf
)
                             The Board requests the Council, with
        support from Staff, to prepare suggested changes to the Bylaws,
        within six months, regarding the Council’s structure on the
        basis of four broad stakeholder groups and voting practices
        consistent with the principles outlined above.

Thus unless the council agrees to the proposed amendments, they will not
constitute changes prepared by the council with the support of the
staff.  In the case of the one council seat per constituency, I believe
the staff is advocating an position that can neither be warranted by the
Board recommendations nor by council decisions at this point.  While the
recommendations made by the staff are appreciated as a starting point,
it is the GNSO council that must make the decisions.  In reading your
discussion, I had the feeling you were presenting us with what you felt
was the only possible interpretation.  I wish to take issue with this
assumption.

2. I certainly see no language in the Board/BCG recommendations
requiring that each new constituency get a seat on the council.  In fact
all of the discussions on seating in the council is at the SG level.
And my reading of the recommendations, as well as the length discussions
the council had with the BCG indicate the intention to de-link the seats
in the council from the constituency structure.  Perhaps we will need to
get a ruling from the Board on this as it is difficult to proceed with
such diametrically opposed understandings on the board's decision.  My
reading says that there is no direct linkage between the existence of a
constituency and a seat on the Council, though of course the SG has to
show that is is giving fair representation to all in the SG group -
whatever constituency they may be a member of or however many
constituencies they may be a member of.

3. There was certainly no language indicating that once we got to more
then 6 constituencies in a non-contracted house or more then 3
constituencies in the contracted house that we would need to restructure
yet again.    I hope that we are successful in bringing new
constituencies into the process, and I think that a well defined WG
process will aid in doing so.  But if the by-law change you and your
staff advocate were to be advanced, I believe that pain of an additional
restructuring as well as the waste of time and effort it would
constitute would work as a disincentive to the acceptance on new
constituencies.  It would be as hard to add the 4th constituency to one
of the contracted house as it was to add new constituencies before the
reorg we are suffering through at the moment.  I believe that creating
disincentives for the creation on new constituency was definitely not
something the Board was intending in its decision.

4. While it is true that the reason for constituting new constituencies
is to allow greater voice, given the function of the future council as a
management group, and given that voice is dependent on WG participation
and not council membership, the subject of voice and a council seat are
orthogonal to each other.  Thus I do not believe that a requirement for
one council  seat for each new constituency can be backed up by an
interpretation of the requirements for change made by the Board.

5. Finally it is up to the stakeholders charters, as approved by the
board to determine the process by which seats are allocated - this is
explicit in the BCG recommendation.  Each of the SG has been given the
opportunity to design a fair and comprehensive system for doing so. The
Board will review each of these SGs in order to determine whether they
do or not. It seems to me that the right of self determination by the
SGs with the advice and consent of the Board must not be abrogated by
Policy Staff fiat.

thanks

a.