[council] RAA Drafting Team

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Fri Apr 17 08:32:16 UTC 2009

Further to my comments on the call yesterday allow me to clarify and make a proposal that
may save us all a lot of time.

Background
The BC supports a consideration of further RAA changes.

Question
What is the best way to do this ?

Proposal
1. First, do fact finding and create a list of EXISTING  registrants' rights including (and
separating out) voluntary best practice (mostly a Registrars exercise).
2. Create a second list of ADDITIONAL registrants' rights that registrants want (mostly a
Users exercise).
3. Create a group to study the two lists and determine which of these additional rights and
voluntary best practice CAN be implemented with new RAA changes (a joint users / suppliers
exercise) ie POSSIBLE even if some opinions say UNDESIRABLE.
4. Then, NEGOTIATE on which of these additional rights will go forward to be implemented by
RAA changes.

That may be in the minds of those that drafted the RAA motion but as I said on the call, and
from what I heard on the call, I detected a confusion in approach.
The key is to avoid negotiating too early or arguing over the content of a "charter of
rights."
As said on the call I would strongly recommend changing the terminology.

Philip