[council] ICANN Announcement on Domain Tasting

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Aug 12 20:30:21 UTC 2009

At 12/08/2009 03:08 PM, Craig Schwartz wrote:
>Dear Councilors,
>
>Please see the announcement and report
>(<http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-12aug09-en.htm>http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-12aug09-en.htm)
>ICANN posted today about the impact of the AGP Budget Provision and
>the AGP Limits Policy on Domain Tasting.
>
>Best,
>Craig

Thanks Craig. I did a bit of further analysis, and came up with the following:

There were 17,668750 AGP deletes in June 2008. Following the ICANN
budget levy on excessive deletes, the number decreased to 2,785,605.
With the implementation of the AGP limit policy in April 2009, the
total number of AGP deletes was 58,218, an overall decrease of 99.7%.

Put another way, in June 2008, for .COM, there were 2,122,794 net new
domains added, and an additional 15,738,292 domain names added and
then AGP-deleted for an AGP delete rate of 741%

In April 2009, there were 2,084,868 net new domains added, and an
additional 37,519 domain names added and then AGP-deleted for an AGP
delete rate of under 2%.

Under the policy, an AGP-delete rate of 10% is allowed without
financial penalty, per registrar, to allow for exceptional
conditions. It was expected that few registrars would exceed this 10%
and in fact in April only 22 registrars exceeded 10%, and there were
only 432 excessive AGP-deletes.

Alan