[council] Whois "misrepresentation study" meeting

Liz Gasster liz.gasster at icann.org
Tue Aug 18 16:01:42 UTC 2009

All,

I have been reaching out to various proponents of studies, and to candidates who might be helpful in providing study data, on a selected basis, to try to define the precise parameters of the terms of reference for RFPs to obtain costs and feasibility for various WHOIS study areas.  You may recall that the Council, in asking for this work to be done at your open meeting in Mexico City, specifically invited staff to:  "pursue creative ways to develop cost estimates for these studies, including re-formulations of the suggested hypotheses. At any time, Staff may come back to Council with questions regarding study hypotheses."  These discussions have been conducted pursuant to that invitation, they have been "one-off" discussions, and Glen happened to record and post this one because I asked her to schedule it.  Other calls have also occurred.  I did not post agendas or announce the calls, other than to the invitees of the calls.

Please let me know if you would prefer that I handle these calls in a different way.

Regarding the substance and status of WHOIS studies -- I have reformulated the categories of studies into the attached groupings.  (Please see chart attached).  Draft terms of reference for RFPs on the first two study areas, WHOIS "misuse" and WHOIS "misrepresentation" are also attached for your reference.  I am currently seeking input on the questions highlighted in the italicized "boxed" text in the attached.  If you have input to provide, please feel free to do so. We have not yet begun to prepare a document on "Proxy and Privacy Services".

I had not intended to conduct a broad community-wide consultation at this stage.  If the Council wants to provide input or solicit broader input now or at any time before RFPs are released, please let me know and I can of course accommodate that, noting that will delay the release of these requests.

Regarding Study 4 on the attached (previously study #11) staff is currently thinking (though our thoughts could certainly change) that this study might be subsumed by the work of the SSAC and GNSO to study the feasibility of introducing display specifications to deal with the internationalization of registration data.

Regarding study 5, we will be initiating the compilation of WHOIS service requirements in early September.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like further information, or if you would like me to alter my process in any way.

Thanks, Liz