[council] Whois "misrepresentation study" meeting

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Aug 18 18:29:19 UTC 2009

Hi,

I guess I disagree, I very much appreciate the ability to listen to
the call, and
am grateful it was posted.  I think posting these calls is an
important first step
in achieving transparency of the process and I hope it is not stopped
and that
there are no repercussions towards anyone for having posted it.

I have no problem with the staff doing information gathering, but I do
believe
that this has to be balanced.  And while one meeting is not enough to
know for
sure, I believe the information that was relayed in that meeting
might, through
the use of one sided definitions, skew the studies.

I think transparency has to be a universal principle at ICANN that we
al strive for
though we all may miss miss the mark at times.  And while not
everyone should
be able to attend every meeting, everyone (and every constituency)
should be able
to know about meetings that are occurring and should have a way to
make sure
that the full spread of opinion and expertise is represented.  this is
especially the
case in something as sensitive and culturally explosive as Whois.

I believe expediency by the Staff is never a good reason for a lack of
transparency.

a.