[council] ICANN Board meeting agenda - 9 Dec 2009 - Item on Constituencies

Rosemary Sinclair Rosemary.Sinclair at atug.org.au
Wed Dec 9 06:40:32 UTC 2009

Bruce

Many thanks for these insights into the process

Re:

"...there is support for some form of Consumers Constituency to increase
participation by individual users of domain names in the policy
development process - but this needs to be taken in the context of the
new structure of the Non-commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG).    The
overall aim of any structural improvement is to increase user
participation and the effectiveness of that participation in the GNSO.

Any feedback you can provide from the perspective of the GNSO would be
useful."

I'm sure Chuck Gomes (Chair GNSO Council) and Avri Doria (immediate past
Chair GNSO and now Chair NCSG EC) will provide input to the Board.

But for me personally, increasing consumer awareness of and
participation in ICANN policy processes is the key reason for my
interest in ICANN and I am pleased to learn of the development of a
Consumer Constituency to provide a "landing spot" for consumer groups
interested in learning more about ICANN and influencing decisions to
ensure they reflect consumer needs

As I see it we have a clear direction, in the Affirmation of Commitments
and the developing ICANN Strategy Plan, of outreach to other voices and
I an keen to be part of this effort - hence the meeting in Brussels with
BEUC and plans in hand to assist in connecting with other consumer
groups around Asia Pacific...I am going to suggest ICANN make a
presentation on this at the next APECTEL meeting and seek the support of
all economies

My focus as part of the NCSG Exec Committee at the moment is on working
to establish the NCSG as a fully effective part of the GNSO, making the
structural links between NCSG and GNSO processes work smoothly and
settling admin planks like Membership Criteria, Policy Position
Development, Interest Groups and Constituency Development

The next stage will be encouraging others into NCSG - whether as
Members, Interest Groups or Constituencies

Cheers

Rosemary