[council] GNSO letter to the ICANN Board regarding Public Participation

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Tue Feb 3 07:57:38 UTC 2009

Thanks to Adrian and all involved in the drafting of this letter.

I have just one comment re the paragraph requesting that staff and Board
members answer the questions raised during public sessions directly (I have
copied the paragraph below for clarity). Is the intent here that staff
and/or Board should answer all questions directly during the session? Or is
the request that answers be provided at some point after the session as was
the case with the document published by staff after Cairo? I think this just
needs a little clarification in the text. Assuming it is the latter, I
propose the following edit below (marked by start and end points in caps and
brackets):

The quality of these sessions and the satisfaction of participants can often
be gauged on the level of ICANN Board interaction. The GNSO Council would
like the ICANN Board and staff to continue with the practice started in
Cairo of responding directly to questions where appropriate, (SVG EDIT
BEGINS) either at the time or in a subsequent document to be published not
long after the meeting, as was the case in Cairo.(SVG EDIT ENDS) These
sessions should not simply be Œone way traffic¹.  The audience benefits from
hearing direct responses from the ICANN Board and staff on relevant issues.
Many believe that it is the duty of a Board Member, in taking on the role,
that they actively engage their constituents.

Thanks,

Stéphane Van Gelder