[council] Motion on Individual Users in the GNSO.

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Feb 6 18:34:07 UTC 2009

hi,

I would like to sit in on this group.  I am not sure, however, whether I
should be a proper member or an observer.

While I certainly see myself as an individual user, of both the
commercial and the non-commercial flavor (i am both a technical
contractor with a domain name and a social activist with a domain name),
and think that in some sense my nature as an independent independent
user has fed into my appointment by the nomcom to the GNSO, I cannot say
that I represent Internet users.  Further in the context of any such
effort, I would be as inclined, a chair of the council, to present what
I understood to be the multiplicity of GNSO Council viewpoints as to
present my own view of what was good for both individual users and the
ICANN/GNSO.  I.e. I would try to do both.

I am certainly committed to the overall advisory role of ALAC and as I
have said publicly on more then one occasion, believe that it should
occupy an advisory role on a par with the GAC.  And while I have tended
toward the view that the GNSO constituencies were for contracted parties
and registrants (in agreement with the BGC report), have accepted that
the prevailing view in the council is for the inclusion of users, and as
chair will support that view.  I also believe it is important to find a
way of doing it that is non-duplicative.

So, this is a mixed bag, but if people don't object, I am interested in
participating in the process.

a.