[council] List etiquette

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Mon Jan 5 15:15:13 UTC 2009

A Happy New Year to all.

May I make the following request to help improve efficiency? I do this as someone returning
from leave and reading  (and deleting) many, many e-mails.

1. Please think twice before choosing a reply to sender and a reply to all. To whom are you
really communicating?
2. On a list such as this, never reply to all but reply to the list (to avoid duplication).
3. If you want to be polite and thank someone for doing something, then thank them by a
reply to sender (but don't copy the whole list). We all know  Council members are lovely
polite people - we don't need reminding.

Stick to these simple rules and our e-mail traffic will reduce by around half  as we no
longer waste time deleting duplicates  and "thank you"  e-mails. It will also do wonders for
RSI injuries.

Philip