[council] RAA amendment process

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Wed Jan 14 00:30:00 UTC 2009

I probably was unclear in my earlier statement so let me try to clarify.
I understand the concerns that several have communicated with regard to
process, poor communication, etc. with regard to the RAA amendments. I
like you also did not properly understand how the amendments would be
implemented until a day before the Council meeting; in fact, in our
preparatory call for the Council meeting, I stated that it was very
important that the Council be made aware of what I had just learned
earlier that day and that did indeed happen in the Council call.  That
undoubtedly created more dissatisfaction but it is information that
everyone needed.

I probably looked at this issue too simplisticly:  1) As far as I could
personally tell, all of the proposed amendments were better than or
equal to what is in the RAA now; 2) no one provided evidence that any
one of the amendments would be a problem if it was implemented; 3)
therefore, in my view we would be better off approving them now so that
at least some improvements would happen with less of a delay and we
could proceed expeditiously on new work to deal with additional concerns
as applicable, including those that relate to some changes that didn't
go far enough for some.  Now we have further delays for changes for
which it seemed to me we had no direct disagreement, but instead were
mostly dissatisfied with the process.

Oh well, we are where we are.  I thought if would have been good to be a
little further along.  Maybe there are a few of the proposed amendments
that are non-policy related that Staff can implement without GNSO
action.

Chuck