[council] commercial and contractual constituencies meddling in structure of noncommercial group is unacceptable

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Fri Jan 16 21:57:40 UTC 2009

Don't think I can post to the GNSO Council list, so will an NCUC
Councilor please pass along this message.  Thank you!  Robin

----

Dear GNSO Councilors:

It is completely unacceptable for the structure of the new NCSG to be
defined and shaped by commercial users and contracting parties.
Noncommercial stakeholders can and will define their own structure
suitable to themselves and not be manipulated by other stakeholder
groups who might seek to undermine its effectiveness.  It is naïve
and disingenuous to pretend that the different SGs don't have
competing and often conflicting interests.

We note that no one has invited NCUC or ALAC to participate in
defining a new structure for the Commercial SG, or the Registrar and
Registry SGs. This kind of discrimination among SGs will discourage
additional noncommercial entities from participating in ICANN's GNSO.

Please note that NCUC has already proposed a structure for the NCSG
that has the overwhelming support of the noncommercial stakeholders
currently active in ICANN.  We have conveyed it to At Large,
discussed its principles in public meetings in Cairo, and are in
conversations with staff about it now.  While we welcome efforts to
amend it from new constituency proponents and relevant members of At
Large, that proposal will serve as the basis for any NCSG proposals
that go to the Board.

We have no objection in principle to working with At large members
and RALOs in this process, and as noted before we have already tried
to include them in our ongoing process.  But we also note that
individual or organizational At Large members may also be commercial
users and thus ineligible to join a future noncommercial SG, and thus
have no legitimate role to play in the definition of our structure.

The Board Governance Committee has made it clear on numerous
occasions that Stakeholder Groups themselves should play a leading
role in defining their structure. Explicit statements to that effect
have been made by Roberto Gaetano, former Board members and BGC
member Susan Crawford, and Harald Alvestrand.  This is, quite
obviously, the right approach.

Best,
Robin Gross
Chair of Non-Commercial Users Constituency

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org