[council] First thoughts on acting on BR 2008-12-11 02

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Sat Jan 17 11:08:43 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Jan 13, 2009, at 5:42 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Board resoluion 2008-12-11-02
>
> "that members of the GNSO community work with members of the ALAC/At-
> Large community and representatives of potential new "non-
> commercial" constituencies to jointly develop a recommendation for
> the composition and organizational structure of a Non-Commercial
> Stakeholder Group that does not duplicate the ALAC and its
> supporting structures, yet ensures that the gTLD interests of
> individual Internet users"

[snip]

> Note: One possible objection is that this discussion is relevant
> only to the NCSG and not to the rest of the GNSO community and thus
> there is no role for the rest of the GNSO community or for the GNSO
> council in this process.    I can certainly see the logic of his
> view and accept it if it is the predominant view in the council.  I
> do, however, feel obliged to make sure we have responded to the
> Board motion, and hence the proposal and the discussion.

As Avri's note anticipated, this board resolution and the related
discussions have been a source of a great concern within NCUC (and a
distraction from substantive GNSO work).  We would appreciate help
understanding how the resolution was formulated (including the lack of
mention of the NCUC proposal) and accepted, as well as the origins and
thinking behind the consequent proposals for a joint group of GNSO and
ALAC representatives, etc.

In the meanwhile, below I am passing along two related items: a letter
from NCUC chair Robin Gross to the counsel; and an email from Milton
to Denise replying to her 15 January message on the development of
stakeholder groups.

Thanks for your consideration,

Bill

----------------------

Dear GNSO Councilors:

It is completely unacceptable for the structure of the new NCSG to be
defined and shaped by commercial users and contracting parties.
Noncommercial stakeholders can and will define their own structure
suitable to themselves and not be manipulated by other stakeholder
groups who might seek to undermine its effectiveness.  It is naïve and
disingenuous to pretend that the different SGs don't have competing
and often conflicting interests.

We note that no one has invited NCUC or ALAC to participate in
defining a new structure for the Commercial SG, or the Registrar and
Registry SGs. This kind of discrimination among SGs will discourage
additional noncommercial entities from participating in ICANN's GNSO.

Please note that NCUC has already proposed a structure for the NCSG
that has the overwhelming support of the noncommercial stakeholders
currently active in ICANN.  We have conveyed it to At Large, discussed
its principles in public meetings in Cairo, and are in conversations
with staff about it now.  While we welcome efforts to amend it from
new constituency proponents and relevant members of At Large, that
proposal will serve as the basis for any NCSG proposals that go to the
Board.

We have no objection in principle to working with At large members and
RALOs in this process, and as noted before we have already tried to
include them in our ongoing process.  But we also note that individual
or organizational At Large members may also be commercial users and
thus ineligible to join a future noncommercial SG, and thus have no
legitimate role to play in the definition of our structure.

The Board Governance Committee has made it clear on numerous occasions
that Stakeholder Groups themselves should play a leading role in
defining their structure. Explicit statements to that effect have been
made by Roberto Gaetano, former Board members and BGC member Susan
Crawford, and Harald Alvestrand.  This is, quite obviously, the right
approach.

Best,
Robin Gross
Chair of Non-Commercial Users Constituency

---------

Begin forwarded message:

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and
   Development Studies
Geneva, Switzerland
william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
New book: Governing Global Electronic Networks,
http://tinyurl.com/5mh9jj

william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch