[council] Re: Board Resolution on individual users

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Jan 20 15:19:49 UTC 2009

In my opinion we first need to be clear on what our task is and is not:
I believe that Denise's message clarifies that our primary task is to
comment on the role of individual users in the GNSO; it is not to
comment on the NCSG or to help the NCUC and other interested NCSG
stakeholders develop their charter.

As Denise pointed out, the Working Group on GNSO Council Restructuring
(WG-GCR), which consisted of representatives of each constituency and
the ALAC as well as a NomCom appointee, recommended to the Board that
the composition of the non-contracted party voting house of the GNSO
Council should "...be open to membership of all interested parties ...
that use or provide services for the Internet, ... and should explicitly
not be restricted to domain registrants as recommended by the BGC."  So
it might be useful as a first step to simply confirm that we still
support this recommendation.  I wouldn't think that this step should
require any special working group or drafting team.  Do any
constituencies or NomCom appointees disagree with this recommendation?

Note that the recommendation was made by the WG-GCR in response to
requests from Alan, the ALAC representative on the WG. Therefore, a
second reasonable step would seem to me to be confirmation from the ALAC
that they do indeed support the WG-GCR recommendation.  It sounds like
the ALAC is already making plans to focus on this issue so I suggest
that Avri simply ask them whether they support the WG-GCR recommendation
and to provide any comments they have in that regard.

If we confirm that both the GNSO and ALAC support involvement of
individual users (beyond just registrants) in the GNSO, then here are my
suggestions for next steps:

1. The GNSO and ALAC should communicate that to the Board.

2. Assuming the Board approves the recommendation, then it will need to
be determined how that can best happen.  That, I believe, is primarily
the task of the existing and potential members of the future
non-commercial and commercial SGs.  They have the responsibility of
developing and submitting charters.

3. It will be up to the Board to review the proposed charters and decide
whether it fulfills the GNSO improvement recommendations related to
constituencies and stakeholder groups.

I believe that it would be wise for all of us in both GNSO houses to
attempt to involve potential future stakeholders in our charter
development efforts to the extent that is feasible.  I recognize that
that is a very challenging task.  But, as applicable, we could at least
reach out to invidual users and to groups that have formally
communicated expressions of interests to form constituencies and request
their input.  In the case of individual users, the At Large community
hopefully can serve as a good source of individual users.

Should the GNSO as a whole have any role in determining how to
incorporate individual users into the noncontracted party house?  I
think that is up to those who will make up the noncontracted party
house, both existing participants and future participants.  I believe
all existing participants are currently working on developing draft SG
charters and hopefully they are involving future participants in that
process.  If the latter is not the case, then it may be that the Council
can help facilitate that.  If the Council so approves, a reasonable step
for the Council to take might be to reach out to the future
participants, especially to individual users via the ALAC (or other
means) and to groups that have formally expressed interest in forming
constituencies to find out if they have been involved in charter
development activities.  In my opinion, this should only be done with
the concurrence of the potential applicable stakeholder group members
(i.e., those preparing charters).

If the GNSO and/or ALAC do not support incorporating individual users in
the GNSO or if the Board does not approve that recommendation, then I
think our task may be simpler.  But, because our deadline for submitting
charters is coming up very quickly, we need some indication very soon
(NLT end of January) where each of three major parties stand, the GNSO,
the ALAC and the Board.  It would be a waste of time developing charters
that involve individual users if that is not going to happen.

Chuck