[council] IDN gTLD Fast Track discussion

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Mar 20 01:02:11 UTC 2009

Hello Stéphane,

> I actually think it makes a lot of sense to allow
> non-contentious TLDs a way
> forward before the mainstream new TLD launch, if it means
> TLDs that present
> more complicated issues get ironed out properly while at the
> same time not
> delaying the others.

The problem becomes in defining "non-contentious TLDs".

Even IDN-ccTLDs have issues around their contributions to costs and their commitment to adhere to IDNA standards.

Every TLD applicant that I have come across claims that their TLD is "non-contentious".

ICANN's experience with trying to manage a specific category (Sponsored in 2004) was not successful.   By setting up one group to go forward early - you just increase the commercial incentives around trying to show that your application is in that category.

The new gTLD process itself already has three categories - geographic, community, and other.

Regards,
Bruce