[liaison6c] RE: [council] Draft Revisions to the ICANN Bylaws Relating to GNSO Restructure

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Mon Mar 30 14:42:10 UTC 2009

Jeff,

Please note my responses below.

Chuck

________________________________

	From: Neuman, Jeff [mailto:Jeff.Neuman at neustar.us]
	Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 10:12 AM
	To: Gomes, Chuck; ken.bour at verizon.net; stephane.vangelder at indom.com; Margie.Milam at icann.org; council at gnso.icann.org; liaison6c at gnso.icann.org
	Subject: RE: [liaison6c] RE: [council] Draft Revisions to the ICANN Bylaws Relating to GNSO Restructure

	Can I propose a meeting between the five work team chairs to discuss the items being worked on as I already see overlapping subject areas.  For example, to the extent that the voting thresholds are involved in the policy process, those are being discussed in the PPSC work teams.  Again we are not looking at changing the thresholds, but providing more clarity as to what they mean.  It sounds like from your note Chuck that this may be also addressed by other teams as well.
	[Gomes, Chuck] As long as we have a clear agenda with objectives that are useful to all the WT chairs, I think this would be fine.  I think the first task is to develop the agenda.

	For example,

	"Create an Issues Report:  requires more than 25% vote of both houses or majority of one house"

	·         I take it from your e-mail Chuck, that the issue of what constitutes a 25% vote is a matter for each SG to address and recommend to the Council?[Gomes, Chuck]  The Contracted House will have 7 votes; 25% would be 2 votes. The Users House will have 13 votes; 25% would be 4 votes. What needs to be defined?

	·         However, what is an issues report?  Is an issues report the first step in the process?  Is there something in between an issues report and a vote on what used to be known as a PDP? - These are questions for the PDP work team, correct?[Gomes, Chuck]  These are legitimate questions for the PDP WT to work on on and could result in the need to add new thresholds and maybe even the elmination of thresholds as currently defined. For example, maybe we won't even have anything called an issues report so that threshold could eventually be deleted.  In the meantime though we will be operating using the existing PDP so we would need a voting threshold for issues reports.

	I think  a meeting between the five chairs of the work teams and icann staff may be helpful to get the issues on the table. Perhaps then you will be able to see why I am leery about implementing the voting thresholds in June if the other work is not done?[Gomes, Chuck]  I think it is helpful to recognize that the GNSO bicameral structure will be implemented before the GNSO Improvements WTs finish there work.  In the case of the PPSC and its two work teams, they likely will not be finished with their work when the bicameral Council is seated, whether that is in June or some later date, but policy work will still need to continue.  The natural way for that to happen is to use the existing PDP and thus there is a need for voting thresholds in the bicameral model to support that.  Once the GNSO improvement recommendations from the WTs are fully implemented, we may need to change the thresholds but that should just be a change in the Rules and not a change in the Bylaws, although I support a Bylaws requirement that Rules changes require a high threshold (at least 60% of each house) and Board approval so as to avoid making rules changes too easy.

	Apparently e-mails alone will not solve the issue (especially because not everyone on this list can get my e-mails - I cannot post to the council list).[Gomes, Chuck]  I believe that all Councilors are on this list.

	Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.: NeuStar, Inc.
	Vice President, Law & Policy

	The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.