[council] FW: Doodle IDNG call

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon May 4 18:41:03 UTC 2009

On 4 May 2009, at 09:54, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> We could add a 5th principle:  "where some participants have to
> suffer unpleasant hours, we restrict meeting times to no more than
> one hour."

Sometimes easier said then done.

E.g.  I would very much like to have council meeting be an hour long,
and if we could more the schedule out to once a month, even better.

But there is much to discuss, and people do not tend to carry on
discussions on the mailing list or any other medium.  Also we often
have to approach topics more then once, because it takes a while to
get all the constituency input.  So while I would like to schedule
meetings with fewer topics or fewer status updates, it has proven
difficult.
(BTW I have thought of asking for all status to be written beforehand,
but we would still need time for questions, and besides I have often
felt that the amount of required reading also has limited tolerance.)

One thing that I hope will help in time is if fewer council members
need to be involved in the WG, and when have finished all of
restructuring/"improvement" work.  But to shorten meetings, i firmly
believe we need to resolve more issues on line.

Also defining Ridiculous/unpleasant times may be more difficult then
one may think.  Some council participants, e.g. have questioned
holding meeting during the evening hours when it is time for dinner
and family, while for others those are the perfect hours.   And given
the world spread, how may times do you count that meet the 12-5am
barrier - i only see two.

a.