[council] GNSO Council letter to the GAC

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Wed May 13 08:38:37 UTC 2009

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for providing this clarification which is really helpful in
understanding your position.

Let me start with your last point. I do agree what you suggest is a good
compromise, although I would defer to Avri to decide whether things can be
done that way and the letter can be sent with your abstention noted. However
I would also like to add that I think the point you raise about not having
enough time to consult with your constituents was addressed by Avri in an
email sent yesterday. The gist of which was that, in such matters as sending
a letter on behalf of the GNSO Council, councillors are acting in their own
capacity as members of the Council. I fully agree with this position as a
general principle. I think councillors should consult with their
constituents whenever possible, but I also think they are elected to act and
they carry the trust of their constituents. I think the position we take
when we write a letter such as the one we are working on at the moment is a
Council position. I don¹t think that these efforts should be blocked or
hindered because there isn¹t enough time to go back to the constituencies. I
think that¹s what our constituents expect of us: to make informed and
thought-out judgment calls when we need to.

On your other points, I don¹t think this letter is saying that governments
should simply be treated like any other objector. What I was trying to say
in my draft (but this may not have been well written, don¹t forget I¹m
French ;-) ) is that issues of national sovereignty notwithstanding,
governments should not be granted a de facto privileged right to veto
everything before anyone else. It is perfectly clear that governments should
be allowed to protect their respective countries¹ national resources, and
that includes their names on the Internet. Once again, this has already been
built into the DAG and the new gTLD program. What in my mind is less
acceptable is that governments should be given all-conquering veto power
over any string their might take objection to, at both the top and the
second level.

My understanding of what is going on inside the IRT may be incomplete and
you undoubtedly have a better vision of this than I do, but I don¹t see any
part of the letter which goes against the IRT¹s proposals as I understand
them. However I understand your reservations (no pun intended) to any
specific wording which could be construed as being against reserved lists.

I see in another email Chuck has suggested some edits. May I suggest that I
include these edits in a modified draft, which would also try to alleviate
your concerns about reserved lists? I will send that to the list asap.

Let me end by saying that I see our duty as GNSO councillors to ensure that
the new gTLD program is rolled out in a timely and fair manner. This program
stems from extensive work by the GNSO Council and Constituencies. Work in
which all parties were involved, including governments and including IP. I
fully agree with the need to take the time to get things right. But if the
intent is to artificially slow the process down after there has been
GNSO-wide approval for it, then I take exception to that. And I feel that
for governments to ask for complete veto power at top and second level may
slow the process down in a way which might seem artificial, as it is clear
such a proposal would not be acceptable to many other parties.

Thanks and sorry for the long email.

Stéphane