[council] NCA Assignments

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Oct 8 12:11:41 UTC 2009

Hi,

Not having heard, and proceeding to the final step,

>> d. If the GNSO Council Houses and/or their respective Stakeholder
>> Groups are unable to reach agreement, then the new, inexperienced
>> NCA will take the non-voting Council seat and random selection will
>> be used to assign the other two NCAs to Houses before the Council
>> meeting on 8 October 2009.
>
> Note: If I need to do a random selection, I will use the Wednesday 7
> Oct Powerball Lottery number (http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_numbers.asp
> ) as seed to the  IETF RFC3797 random selection algorithm with the
> names ordered alphabetic by first name.; ie. Olga, Terry.  Doing so,
> however, will result in at least one of the NCAs being given an
> assignment that is contrary to their expressed interests.

The lottery number for yesterday was: 2 20 21 38 50

Using alphabetical order for the picks, the names are ordered:

1. Olga
2. Terry

Also using alphabetical order for the assignments,

1st name picked goes to Contracted Parties House
2nd name picked goes to Non Contracted Parties House

the RFC3797 program run (included below) picks #2 first

meaning:

Terry is assigned to Contracted
Olga is assigned to Non Contracted
Andrei, by motion, is non-voting Council seat.

a.

Run of the RFC3797 program

Type size of pool:
(or 'exit' to exit) 2
Type number of items to be selected:
(or 'exit' to exit) 1
Approximately 1.1 bits of entropy needed.

Type #1 randomness or 'end' followed by new line.
Up to 16 integers or the word 'float' followed by up
to 16 x.y format reals.
2 20 21 38 50
2 20 21 38 50
Type #2 randomness or 'end' followed by new line.
Up to 16 integers or the word 'float' followed by up
to 16 x.y format reals.
end
Key is:
  2.20.21.38.50./
index        hex value of MD5        div  selected
  1  EFC9E973E94E5D3BB70D8CDE6C0EDBCD   2  ->  2 <-

Done, type any character to exit.