[council] Board letter to GNSO Council

Mike Rodenbaugh icann at rodenbaugh.com
Thu Oct 15 15:34:30 UTC 2009

Seems the Board has set this as a top priority for the Council, obviously.
So we should setup a long block of time on Sat/Sun in Seoul to kick this
off?

I have concerns about allowing 'observers' to speak freely at the Council
sessions, as has become standard practice at our weekend sessions but at no
other times.  It makes the weekend sessions far less productive, more time
consuming and more contentious than warranted.  It allows a few well-funded
members of the community to have far undue influence over Council
deliberations and policy development.  With specific respect to the IRT
proposals, it will simply allow rehash of all the arguments we have heard
for months and over several meetings, at the expense of actual Council
deliberations and progress towards policy development.

Of course observers are welcome, but they ought not be allowed to speak
except during designated Q&A or presentation periods as during our Wednesday
session.  If councilors wish to proxy their speaking privilege in any
session, that ought to be allowed, but there ought be no more people allowed
to speak than there are Councilors.

Do others agree or disagree with this?

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW