[council] Council wide Nominations are closed - Part 2 Each House determines a Candidate

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Fri Oct 16 08:07:19 UTC 2009

On 16 Oct 2009, at 09:55, Philip Sheppard wrote:

> A right to a secret ballot is fundamental to any robust system of
> democracy.
> That this body is even considering such a denial is of great concern.
> Philip

For citizens, yes.
For representatives?

As you well know, council history is full of occasions where we voted
on the Chair in open meeting. It is only recently that the mail
ballot, which is secret, has been used.  And we have never even
considered voting for the vice-chair in secret ballot.  Why is this -
is the vice-chair election any less fundamental to a robust system of
democracy?  Will all the voting on candidates in the houses also be
done as secret ballots?

As there is a difference of opinion within the council on this, it
seems to me the only path is to vote on whether this ballot is secret
or not.

As I said, I will ask staff to make sure we are set up for a secret
ballot, should the vote go that way.  And I see this as being a vote
that will only required a majority of the two houses under the new
Council Procedures that will, hopefully, be approved by then.

a.