[council] Board letter to GNSO Council

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Mon Oct 19 15:39:45 UTC 2009

Hello All,

In terms of availability to discuss the Board letter to the GNSO - I am
planning to arrive in Seoul on Thursday afternoon 22 Oct, and could be
available to meet with any subgroup of the GNSO on the Friday 23 Oct -
for anyone that is in town early.  I find my weekend is now nearly fully
packed with meetings - so thought I would allocate Friday to be able to
talk to staff and other people arriving early to discuss how to make the
best use of the meeting time during the week on important issues such as
trademarks.

For example - we could allocate some time during the Board/GNSO dinner
for a more structured discussion on the trademark issues/GNSO letter -
rather than purely chatter at each table.

I am not sure that the current format maximises the benefit of
Board/GNSO Council meeting time on an important topic.   It is currently
working as a useful occasion for Board/Council to get to know each other
a little better.

In the past I find more social engagements such as dinner etc - work
after a more formal session (short e.g 30 mins) where the context for
the issue is set and some of the concerns are raised - then the social
"break-out" function allows those with differing views to get together
and discuss in more detail informally.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin