[council] Motion for using a secret ballot for the chair election on 28 Oct.

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Oct 21 20:11:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

I received some follow up questions as to whether there would be any
reason, should the council vote to have a secret vote, why one could
be prohibited or sanctioned for revealing their vote (whether by
reportage or, I guess, by taking a picture of their ballot before
submitting it). So I posed these questions to legal and policy staff.

I was reminded that there is nothing in the ByLaws or Operating
procedures to preclude reporting on ones vote, and that in fact some
constituencies require such transparency.

I also, for completeness sake, asked whether the GNSO council could
choose to impose a gag rule and was informed this "would be
inconsistent with ICANN's commitment to openness and transparency and
would not be binding on Council members."

I must say, speaking personally, that it felt weird having to ask
these questions after all these years in the GNSO Council.  I also
must say that it seems to me ironic that these questions should be
coming up just as we enter an age of the GNSO council were we were
supposed to see the lessening of the influence of the vote.  But at
least I now feel that I have the answers that I might need during the
election of the next chair.

a.