[council] GNSO Council meet and greet?

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Sep 16 21:29:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

Not that it matters, but I think the morning gripe session is a really
bad idea, and if there was to be a vote on it, and if I was voting, I
would vote against it.

While I was psychological counselor-in-training i participated in
several such events.  Usually they were done at the beginning of
weekend or longer of bonding exercises, where first you tear down the
boundaries between people and get into a little from-the-gut truth
about your feelings for each other and the [company, organization,
environment, board ...).  All good stuff to do, but stuff that leaves
most people reeling, at least initially.   Then you take the people
through various exercises to help them get to know and trust each
other.  At the end of weekend of trauma, stress, laughter, revelation
and tears, you get to a point where the bonding has happened and you
have a group who know each other better and have a reason to trust.
Mostly it works, sometimes it doesn't.

In this case, there will an hour, maybe two, where every one re-
inroduces them selves and lays out their favorite gripe or two.  And
then we all go away and do consensus building work for the rest of
day, having ripped little shreds out of each other without any time to
rebuild.

As I said, I think it is a terrible idea.  I could be wrong, but if
was hiring myself out a professional counselor (which theoretically I
could do - though I don't have license which would allow me to do
third party billing to your insurance companies yet), this is one gig
I would not take and would strongly advise against.

As normal, I have stated my opinion, won't advocate for that opinion,
and assuming I am still part of council either as a member or as chair
will participate in to the best of abilities.

cheers,

a.