[council] Motion re VRSN RSEP request

Mike Rodenbaugh icann at rodenbaugh.com
Mon Apr 12 18:28:44 UTC 2010

The BC makes the following motion for Council consideration in our next
meeting, and would appreciate a 'second'.  In sum, we request that the
Council ask ICANN Staff to 'slow down' the process of approving Versign's
latest RSEP proposal and accept community input on it.  Thanks.

Whereas, Verisign has recently made a proposal for an additional registry
service called "domain exchange" for the .net TLD.
http://www.icann.org/en/registries/rsep/verisign-dnex-05apr10-en.pdf

Whereas, it appears the proposal may permit resumption of abusive "domain
tasting" activities which have been curbed by the AGP Limits policy, and
therefore appropriate limitations on the proposed registry service must be
considered.

RESOLVED:

The Council requests that Staff make the preliminary determination that this
RSEP proposal requires further study and public comment, because it could
raise significant issues with security and stability and/or competition.

Mike Rodenbaugh

RODENBAUGH LAW

tel/fax:  +1 (415) 738-8087

http://rodenbaugh.com <http://rodenbaugh.com/>