[council] RE: New gTLD Recommendation 6 Community Working Group

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Mon Aug 23 07:06:19 UTC 2010

Thanks Bruce for a very informative email.

I note that your last comment seems to suggest that it would have been better for the GNSO not to involve itself in a cross-community WG at this early stage, but rather provide a direct reaction to the GAC letter.

I have to admit that at a personal level, I continue to be uncomfortable with the WG, which was started without being first discussed by the Council. I am not even sure that a formal call for volunteers to the group has gone out, yet discussion has already started on it. And the initial Terms of Reference document seemed to me to leave the door open to some revision of GNSO new gTLD implementation recommendation 6 and to not set a strict enough timeline for the WG to complete its work, which was enough of a worry for me that I suggested some changes be made to that document.

I wonder if the Council should not simply consider doing exactly what you suggest and providing a response to the GAC letter in time for the Board's September retreat. Perhaps this is something we should discuss at our meeting this Thursday?

Stéphane