[council] RE: New gTLD Recommendation 6 Community Working Group

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Mon Aug 23 12:48:28 UTC 2010

Tim & all,

Please see my responses below.

Chuck

[Gomes, Chuck] Do others think this would be helpful?  If so, are there any volunteers willing to do this?

> Forming a community wide WG sounds like some sort of policy endeavor
> and will require a lot more time.
[Gomes, Chuck] The idea of the community-wide endeavor was the GAC's recommendation to the Board.

[Gomes, Chuck] > I also believe it is less likely to
> come to a conclusion that does not attempt to change the policy.
[Gomes, Chuck] First, I have never thought that the purpose should be to attempt to change the policy.  Significant time was spent developing the recommendation and it was ultimately approved by a super-majority, sent to the Board and approved by the Board.  To change that would seem to me to require another PDP and I agree with you that would take a lot of time.  Second, in my opinion, the value of a community group could be to develop broader understanding of the complexity of the issues especially on the part of GAC members; if the exchange between GNSO, GAC members, ALAC members and other community members was able to create an increased common understanding across groups and was unable to come up with any new recommendations, I think that would add value.  It could be that a community group, would come to basically the same point that the GNSO did but this time with GAC involvement.  Or maybe some improvements could be suggested to the implementation plan that would not change the intent of the recommendation 6.  That was my hope in cooperating with Heather and Cheryl on this.