[council] Updates from JIG

Edmon Chung edmon at registry.asia
Sat Dec 4 22:28:33 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

This is a quick update for everyone on the work at the JIG in my last week on the council :-)
And a heads up for a Final report which is expected to be submitted to the council possibly as soon as next month.

Summarizing the work done on the 3 issues of common interest identified:

1. Single Character IDN TLD:
	- Initial Report completed: http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/jig-initial-report-26jul10-en.pdf
	- Public Comment period completed: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-27jul10-en.htm
	- Staff summary on comments completed: http://forum.icann.org/lists/jig-initial-report/pdfaul7JXcqaa.pdf
	- Draft Final Report published for public comments: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-04dec10-en.htm
	- Next steps:
		- Consideration of Public Comments
		- Finalization of Final Report
		- Submit the Final Report to the GNSO (and ccNSO) councils
		- Council to consider next steps (i.e. to further resolve on submitting the report to Board/Staff)

2. IDN TLD Variant
	- Initial Report (version 0.3) being drafted: https://st.icann.org/data/workspaces/jig/attachments/joint_ccnso_gnso_idn_working_group:20101011160729-0-13292/original/JIG-IDN-Variant-InitialReport-0.3.pdf
	- Work suspended in consideration of Staff work plan (as per the Board resolution on October 18: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-25sep10-en.htm#2.5)
	- Work to be restarted after update from Staff regarding the work plan to be discussed here in Cartagena

3. Universal acceptance of IDN TLDs
	- Work to be started after publishing Initial Report on IDN TLD Variant (#2)

So in summary, I think the Final Report may reach the Council for further actions to be taken in Jan 2011.  The hope of course at that time would be for the council to resolve to send the report on to Board and Staff for further action on the subject and to incorporate the recommendations.

With that I also invite you all to the 2 JIG sessions in the week:
- Monday (Dec 6) Single Character IDN TLDs (JIG public reporting session) -- 1700-1800 (Barahona 2)
- Thursday (Dec 9) Variant TLD Management (JIG WG discussion) -- 0800-0900 (Barahona 1)

Edmon