[council] Motion for JAS WG charter extension

Drake William william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Dec 8 08:17:28 UTC 2010

Hi

I would think it necessary for the JAS to be able to consider a basic framework for how any auction funds that are made available for applicant support could be managed.  Otherwise, the group's long journey through the woods ends by standing in front of the castle door without knocking.  At the same time, it is easy to understand Wolf-Ulrich's view that, "one can expect many interested community groups expressing their needs to share that profit where new applicants are one group of it,"  so how a foundation and auctions might work are larger issues that might better be dealt with through another mechanism.

Wolf-Ulrich, is there a way to split the difference and make it crystal clear that we're mandating JAS to only look at how at how any auction funds could be managed, rather than implying that the JAS might do the broader work? E.g. "Establishing a general framework for the management of any funds that may be made available for applicant support through auctions conducted by a separate ICANN originated foundation" or similar?

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance