[council] FW: URGENT REMINDER AGM information

Mike Rodenbaugh icann at rodenbaugh.com
Wed Dec 8 23:20:59 UTC 2010

I was asked by the GNSO Secretariat to prepare a short "post-mortem" on my
Council terms, which I created a couple weeks ago and thought I would
forward now.  It truly has been a pleasure to work with you all, and I look
forward to many more years of participation in the ICANN community.

My Council term began in Fall, 2006, just as the new gTLD Task Force was
beginning its work in earnest.  As Yahoo!'s representative to ICANN, our
mission was to eliminate domain tasting, and lead efforts to increase
awareness about cybersquatting and cybersecurity problems (phishing, etc.)
in the DNS.  I chaired the Working Group which devised Consensus Policy that
has virtually eliminated domain tasting, which in turn has dramatically
lowered the instance of new cybersquatting and other related problems since
then.

With help from many others in the community, we also have succeeded in
raising awareness significantly among contract parties and the broader ICANN
community respecting cybersquatting and cybersecurity problems, and the
contract parties' responsibility to help address those abuses of their
systems.  I have spread this message through more than a dozen working
groups, including various new TLD groups, Domain Tasting, Fast Flux,
Registration Abuse Policies, RAA Amendments and others.  There is much more
work to do in this regard, but there has been significant progress over the
past four years.

Serving on Council has been a tremendous personal growth and educational
experience, so I want to thank you, the entire policy staff at ICANN, Chuck
and many others who have been so helpful to me over the years.  I appreciate
that I have made dozens of friends and met hundreds of colleagues through my
work at ICANN, and that truly has been the best part of the experience.  I
look forward to continuing my involvement in ICANN policy development
matters, in different capacities, as the DNS rapidly expands in the future.

Kind regards,
Mike

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW