[council] FW: Organizational Reviews - 2 Applications for AoC Reviews - GNSO Endorsement -

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Feb 16 12:48:32 UTC 2010

Please see my comments below.

Glen - Can you follow-up on Bill's last suggestion?

Chuck

Chuck: As I am sure everyone saw, Glen confirmed that the applicants were informed.

> Either way, these early apps point to a tweak we should make
> to the Proposed Process.  We don't presently say anything
> about how apps will be allocated to the up to six slots.

Chuck: Not sure I agree here.  My understanding is the following: 1) We say that the SGs decide who, if any, will be allocated to four slots; 2)the Council will decide on the other two slots.  Do you think we need to be more explicit about that?

> Perhaps we don't need to specify all the gory details, but at
> a minimum it would be helpful if the text asked applicants to
> say which SG, if any, they'd like to be nominated by.  (If
> having been asked they still give no preference the
> Evaluation Team or Council-TBD--would have to make a
> determination in accordance with a procedure still to be
> settled and proposed by the DT).  In these cases we have a
> CORE person and an IPR lawyer so maybe it's straightforward,
> but maybe not...

Chuck: I have several concerns about asking applicants to specify which slot they want: 1) It would require us to more carefully define the slots to applicants so they could make an informed decision and I don't think there is enough time for to do that or to answer questions that would arrise; 2) some applicants will likely choose a slot or slots for which we don't think they fit; 3) if we did ask applicants to choose a slot or slots, I think SGs and the Council for the two open slots should still have the option to endorse a candidate for a slot they didn't choose, so what would the advantage be of asking candidates to choose? 4) in general, I think asking candidates to choose slots adds complexity that we do not have time for without commensorate value.

> One other thought: would it perhaps make sense to post
> complete applications to the web and then direct people to
> them there, rather than emailing zip files around between the
> secretariat, council, SG chairs, SG members, etc?  And beyond
> the transactions costs issue, there's also a transparency
> dimension-the apps should be accessible to the public, as
> envisioned by ICANN's call.

Chuck: Good idea.