[council] Vertical Integration

Margie Milam Margie.Milam at icann.org
Wed Feb 17 17:08:37 UTC 2010

Mike,

We have analyzed the length of time associated with recent PDPs, and the average time from initiation to council vote is 406 days (see attached summary).   When you factor in the fact that this issue is complex and contentious,   this PDP may take longer than the average, and most likely longer than the 16 weeks referenced in the GNSO resolution.    The divergence of opinions experienced to date in  developing the charter for this PDP seems to support this conclusion.      Also, we need to account for the time necessary to obtain Board approval and to develop the implementation details associated with the new policy, which further delays the commencement of the new policy.

Obviously, we will support the GNSO's efforts to conclude this PDP in an expedited manner, but want to make sure that we are realistic about what is possible.

Best Regards,

Margie

Margie Milam
Senior Policy Counselor