[council] 1) Welcome David Olive, 2) Board Meeting Summary
Denise Michel, ICANN
denise.michel at icann.org
Thu Feb 18 10:21:58 UTC 2010
Dear Council and Community Members,
Please join me in welcoming David Olive, our new VP Policy Development (<
started this week and has been added to the Council email list and other
requisite email lists. Although I'm assuming my new duties as Advisor to
the CEO, I also am helping David get up-to-speed on ICANN and policy matters
and, together with the Policy Staff, will help ensure a smooth transition.
For Item 6, "Status Updates," on the Council's meeting agenda, I've included
highlights of the 4 Feb. ICANN Board meeting, below. The preliminary meeting
report is posted at <http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-04feb10-en.htm>.
Advisor to the CEO
denise.michel at icann.org
- Approved the *Registry Services Evaluation Policy *request to amend the
.CAT* Registry Agreements to allocate one and two-character domain names;
in doing so noted the **recommendations of the GNSO Reserved Names
Working Group to permit the release of one and two-character domain names.
- Approved release of* $1.5 million from the existing FY10 budget
contingency line item for FY10 operating expenses, and directed Staff to
undertake cost containment efforts while maintaining essential services.
- Approved a re-delegation of .IN (India)
- Approved a July 2010 - June 2013 Strategic Plan, directed Staff to move
forward with the community-based Operational planning process, noted minor
edits to the Strategic Plan will be provided by the Board by 8 Feb. and will
be subject to the Chairman's approval (final Strategic Plan not posted as of
- Adopted an "Event Security Risk, Contracts and Cancellation Management
Policy," which was precipitated by the Nairobi meeting.
- Received an update from Staff on work related to the "Expressions of
Interest in new gTLDs," deferred a decision on EOI until the Nairobi
meetings, asked for a Staff summary and explanation of major issues raised
in the public comment process, and directed Staff to schedule a forum on
this topic in Nairobi.
- Received a brief update on the final report on relaxing the 3-character
requirement for gTLDs.
- Received a brief update on the ICANN Proposed Security Initiatives
- Asked the Board Governance Committee to develop a plan for research and
analysis on Board Chairman remuneration.
- Received an update on the ICANN CEO's media relations planning.
- Briefly discussed an Ombudsman case report that focused on civility
within ICANN and its effect on participation, affirmed "*that all
participants in ICANN are expected to adhere to the Expected Standards of
and asked Staff to consider the Ombudsman proposals to enhance civility.
- The Board received a brief update on Internationalized Domain Name
(IDN) ccTLD Fast Track requests (four requestors had successfully completed
the string evaluation stage).
- Discussed Vertical Integration (after two Directors and four Liaisons
withdrew from participation in the discussion due to their conflicts of
- Received a brief update on the status of the Affirmation of Commitments
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the council