[council] RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] GNSO - and policy related to GTLDs

Mike Rodenbaugh icann at rodenbaugh.com
Wed Jan 6 19:23:16 UTC 2010

Thanks Avri.

I agree there is an issue here, though I think Council is better off
considering it wrt the upcoming vote re PDP on vertical integration, rather
than having the PPSC add this to its burden, with its recommendation subject
to further scrutiny by the Council anyway.  So I copy the Council list for
their consideration and any further comment.

There is a large leap in the logic of the Issues Report re Vertical
Integration (the portion Avri quotes below), which I cannot accept.
Obviously the Bylaws provide that other SOs and ACs can recommend policy.
Nowhere do they state that Staff may recommend policy.

Re vertical integration, my understanding is that this is not merely an
issue relating to new gTLD implementation, as it could/should affect
existing registries as well.  Therefore the issue is appropriate for a PDP,
and indeed should be resolved that way, rather than via Staff
recommendation.

I guess the alternative is that Staff goes on with its unilateral
decision-making process, and the Council can start a PDP at the same time,
and if we come to supermajority consensus that differs from Staff's fiat,
then our PDP recommendation would have to be implemented at that time.  That
likely would lead to a lot of large problems for ICANN.

Certainly curious to hear other Councilor's thoughts on this issue, before
our vote on the PDP.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Rodenbaugh