[council] Draft Council letter on the ARR

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Wed Jan 20 13:44:51 UTC 2010

Thanks Bill for your response to Alan's question.  In my opinion as one member of the DT, I concur with your assessment.  And I also wonder if it might be good for us to add the gist of what you say in your first paragragh to our comments.  Maybe something like this:

"The Affirmation Reviews Discussion Draft lists the 'capacity to make abstractions from personal opinions' as a desired skill for review team members and goes on to say 'the individual opinions of evaluators should not interfere with the rigorous analysis of findings'.  The GNSO Council therefore concluded that the reviewers are there to act as autonomous experts who'd neutrally assess information with an eye toward advancing the collective good, rather than promoting the private agendas of particular stakeholders."

In my personal opinion, this would be a helpful clarification to our suggestion that there be communication between the reviewers and their respective SOs/ACs, making it clear that we do not intend such communication to serve as a means for SOs and ACs to advance their agendas but rather to be a means to provide relevant information as needed in the review process.

Chuck