[council] Request from Kristina Rosette Re: Solicitation of Outside Advisors

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Jul 13 18:20:09 UTC 2010

Thanks Margie for the detailed response.  I certainly agree that Section
10 is out of date and would add that it was drafted very poorly in the
first place; it was impractical from the beginning and is even more so
today.  One major change that has occurred is the introduction of the WG
model; the closest thing to a WG in the current Bylaws is the Task
Force, but we quit using those several years ago.

I also believe that it would be much better for the WG to enlist the
support of experts before they prepare their final report.  For the
Council to do it after the WG submits its final report would put the
Council more into a policy making role instead of being the manager of
the policy development process.  Also, it would raise some critical
questions such as these: Would expert advice trump consensus
recommendations? Would each interest group want to propose expert
consultants to support their point of view? Would the Council need to
task the WG with additional work depending on the expert advice?

On first glance, it seems to me that this issue fits into the remit of
the PPSC so I have cc'd Jeff Neuman, PPSC  chair.

Chuck