[council] Motion re Study on WHOIS Misuse

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Wed Jul 14 15:00:33 UTC 2010

Two questions: Why do we need so much detail in the Whereas clauses?  I
don't believe that's necessary or helpful.

Second, I do not believe that we have enough detail in the Resolved, or
the staff report to which it refers, to be confident that the Misuse
Study would be a statistically or scientifically valid study.

Even the staff report still indicates  "However, even that [superior]
proposal did not address key challenges that could diminish the WHOIS
policy contributions afforded by this study – notably, determining the
"significance" of misuse and proving a causal relationship between
misuse reduction and WHOIS anti-harvesting measures. If ICANN and GNSO
elect to pursue this study, these concerns should be discussed with the
bidder before a contract is awarded."

Who would be responsible for the "concerns should be discussed"?  I
think that question remains at the GNSO level.

I am therefore planning to vote against this resolution.

Thanks,
--Wendy

Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org
phone: +1.914.374.0613
Fellow, Silicon Flatirons Center at University of Colorado Law School
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html
http://www.chillingeffects.org/
https://www.torproject.org/