[council] Meeting Protocol for Brussels and beyond...

Mary Wong MWong at piercelaw.edu
Thu Jun 3 16:45:34 UTC 2010

Thanks to Chuck, Stephane and Olga for their commitment and comments - I
hope you three know that the rest of us appreciate how difficult it can
be to conduct these working sessions in an efficient manner while
ensuring adequate discussion time and full representative
participation!

Like others, I think that establishing the following baseline rules for
these will be critical, not just for Brussels but as an ongoing
practice: (1) seating Councillors at the table; (2) using the name
cards/placards; (3) having the particular chairperson of that session
announce the guidelines for discussion (as Olga mentioned) and firmly
managing them (very firmly in the case of "repeat offenders"); and (4)
adopting a rule that Councillors ought generally to be able to speak
first.

And just to add to what colleagues from NCSG, RySG and RrSG have said -
there is now a difference between a Council "meeting" and a "working
session" (the latter being much more open). As such, the latter
sessions, in particular, necessarily mean that members of the community
should not only be able to attend, but also to meaningfully participate
- and here I stress the word "meaningfully".

The tension I've seen is not between our views as to whether we are
"representative" or more "participatory" Councillors; it is the precious
little time that everyone (Council and community alike) has for - as
Adrian puts it - direct access to ICANN staff. That situation is often
made worse by rambling, personal, inappropriate and/or irrelevant
questions/comments, or participants (including those perhaps more
familiar with ICANN-land, its history, processes and long-term
participants) who either dominate the discussions or exploit the
advantage, during the working sessions, to speak directly to ICANN
staff.

To my mind, it falls (unfortunately, sorry!) to our Chair and
Vice-Chairs to manage these sessions as they've committed to doing, so
as to minimize disruptions and ensure that both Councillors and the
community have an adequate chance to contribute to a robust discussion
during these sessions.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
(SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584