[council] Brussels hotel and Internet connectivity

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Jun 5 18:30:28 UTC 2010

I checked with Constituency Travel about whether breakfast and
Internet access were included in the Meridien hotel room prices paid
by ICANN for funded travellers (ALAC is staying there and I
understand GNSO also).

The answer was that breakfast is included, but Internet access is not.

According to their web site, the Meridien charges 15 Euros for
in-room access, and that public are access is also charged. That is
about US$18 or 1/4 of the per diem.

ICANN's standard response in previous situations is that we should
simply go to the conference venue for after-hours access - never a
nice alternative, but clearly not at all practical with a venue
separate from the hotel(s).

How we are expected to take over a week from our normal lives and not
have after-hours connectivity is a mystery to me. I thought we had
fought this battle before and won.

ALAC has lodged a strong complaint. The GNSO or individuals within
the GNSO may want to take similar action.

Alan