[council] Topics for Joint Meetings in Brussels

Andrei Kolesnikov andrei at cctld.ru
Tue Jun 8 19:32:31 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

Regarding gNSO/ccNSO meeting and sync TLDs as a topic.  I propose a
different theme, because I have a feeling, that Sync TLD theme today has a
very limited implication, refer to Board resolution:

Whereas, the methodology to be taken by the IDN ccTLD manager to handle
these particular instances of parallel IDN ccTLDs is, in the short-term, the
only option available, but there are serious limits to where such an
approach is viable in practice, so that it cannot be viewed as a general
solution, and that consequently, long-term development work should be
pursued;

Whereas, significant analysis and possibly development work should continue
on both policy-based and technical elements of a solution for the
introduction on a more general basis of strings containing variants as TLD;

My recommendation to gNSO and ccNSO councilors is to focus on interesting
and “yet unknown” issues of “IDNs in non-IDN world”.  Please find below
a short list of issues to cover:

IDNs in NON-IDN world

The issues and problems for the end users, registrars and registries are
very similar: this world is not ready for IDNs

Support of browsers

Overview of browsers behavior. DNS traffic cash-in: why local script goes to
.COM? Why Google is my default for the IDN script / browser localization?
How IDN development changes the food chain of typos, not-founds?

Support of email

Email functionality adds up to IDN popularity. Update on IETF.

IDN code: “IDN-ization”, where to stop?

IDN code гттп://президент.рф/постановления/пр
иказ1.гтяр

Community activities to get the thing done right

what can be done jointly ccNSO / gNSO to speed up IDN support on application
level? What should we demand?

Best regards,

--andrei