[council] AoC RT Endorsement Process, Motion, and Amendments

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Sun Jun 13 14:48:37 UTC 2010

I am glad that the dialog on this is continuing because we have to
resolve this in Brussels and to facilitate that that the amendments
should be proposed as much in advance as possible.

I personally support the motion as proposed because I think the required
threshold of 60% of each house for any additional candidates provides
more than enough protection to ensure SG support.  That would require 5
affirmative votes for the CPH and 8 affirmative votes of the NCPH, so no
SG could control the vote, not even with the NCA vote.  With that
protection, it seems problematic to add more complexity to the process.

At the same time, if there are those who cannot support the original
motion as is, I think I could support a modification that would do the
following:

1.       If the Council decides to try to improve the diversity of the
pool of GNSO endorsed candidates, they would first consider those
alternate candidates proposed by the SGs, if any.  (One flaw with this
as Bill noted in our meeting last week is that an SG could submit all
remaining candidates as alternates.)

2.       If the Council is unable to approve any additional candidates
to improve diversity of the pool using only  SG proposed alternates,
then they could consider the entire set of candidates requesting GNSO
endorsement.

3.       I would add one new wrinkle to this: SG's should only propose
alternates that are of a different geographical location or gender than
their primary candidate.  In fact this would probably be a useful
amendment to the original motion.

Regarding Wolf's suggestion that this process should only apply to the
next two RTs, I am not convinced that this is necessary.  As I said in
our meeting, if we discover that the process needs to change at any
point before any of the next reviews, in this cycle of reviews or in
subsequent cycles, we could do it.  At the same time, if we do not see
any need for changes, we will have a process in place and ready to go
without starting another work effort.

Note that I added a few comments below including the following: "I am
going to assume at this point that the original motion is what is on the
table for 23 June and any amendments to that need to be submitted
again."

Chuck